Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Simple Chukku Coffee (Dry Ginger Concoction)

சுக்கு காபி
Ingredients:
  1. Tulsi or Mint leaves - 12 leaves with stem
  2. Dry Ginger - 100 grams 
  3. Coriander Seeds - 50 gms
  4. Black pepper - 25 gms
  5. Karuppatti (black jaggery) - 500 gms
Procedure:
  • Dry grind and store the dry ginger, coriander seeds and black pepper  in an airtight container.
  • Boil 6 cups of water and add 6 to 8 teaspoons of ground powder.
  • Add black jaggery approximately 8 teaspoons or according to the individual taste
  • Allow it to simmer for 20 minutes
  • Now 3 cups of chukku coffee is ready
  • 1/4 cup of warm milk can be added if required just before drinking
  • Note: Always prepare the chukku coffee as fresh as possible. Never reheat it once milk is added since milk will get curdled. This is a stimulant for the digestive system.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful collection of Tirunelveli recipes.
    I live in Uk but my native is tirunelveli .
    When I go through your blog recipes, it brings me back to tirunelveli.
    Thanks madam for the lovely authentic recipes.

    Sukku coffee is my all time favourite and whenever I come there I never fail in drinking this in one of the shops in Palai market.

    I like to make this here, I have some doubts and plz clarify me.

    Recently came to Uk and very new to cooking

    1.when we have to add tulsi or mint leaves in the recipe
    2. When it becomes 3 cup of coffee,we have to strain and add milk or directly we can add it.
    3.You have asked to use 8 teaspoon of powder for 6 cups of water.1 cup refers to alakku (200ml) or USA cup of 240ml.plz let me know what is the quantity of 1 cup measure in ml.

    Like to try immediately.Expecting your reply eagerly.
    Once I am done I will let u know the feedback .

    Divya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for ur comments. i WISH YOU ALL THE BEST IN UR NEW LOCATION. iN FACT THIS BLOG IS MEANT FOR PERSONS LIKE YOU WHO ARE AWAY FROM HOMELAND AND CAN NOT ACCESs HELP.
    hERE IS THE ANSWER TO UR QUERY

    add tulsi or mint leaves in the beginning before you heat the water.

    Yes. After removing from fire strain and add only warm milk(Never add boiling milk as it will curdle_)
    icuo is 200 ml or alakku

    Try and give me the feed back

    Kanthi

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to drop me a note